Instead of sushi, we went to a sukiyaki place at a mall. Think Denny's meets hotpot. Then a store that sells everything, a lot like Target or a small Costco: flat screen TVs to clothes to cases of UHT chocolate milk.
What a difference 200Km makes. I do believe that afternoon with the awful Thai pop music has nearly completely erased all the good that staying at Kingfisher did for me. Good thing we're headed back there soon!
I didn't understand all the Xmas decorations or some of the bored store clerks wearing Santa caps. Till I saw lights at hotels in BKK. It's near Xmas! It's also 90F during the day. Jeez, they're trying to push Xmas in Thailand.
It was interesting to take the same train back, and to revisit some of the feelings I had on the way in. I had little idea what to expect, and hardly knew anything about Laos. I didn't think starting my sabbatical I'd become so acquainted with parts of Laos. Nothing I learned was necessarily surprising, and everything was interesting and enriching. It makes me think that every place has an important story to it, and is worth knowing about and maybe even living in some small way.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment