I had a really interesting chance encounter with a program mgr for WWF. He came up with some really exciting ideas, many of them addressing, I think, the questions and issues that M brings up and always faces: how to make the government really treat this area as a protected area, and not allow hunting (I occasionally hear gun shots, and M has seen all kinds of endangered game at a market nearby), logging (chainsaws can be heard on treks and logging trucks full of illegal wood rumble by), and how to find good help. Since I've been here, I don't think a day has passed without him talking about his continual attempts to find good workers here.
Martin, the WWF person, mentioned several things:
1. Partnering with schools
2. Playing a more active and official or formal role in the management of the protected conservation area
3. Village as a shareholder
4. Helping invest in the supplier network that you need
5. Let's pay Lao PDR to grow carbon
The next posts (in reverse chron order) are sort of field notes...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment